Re: ITP: ng - lightweight console-based editor with i18n support.

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 12:12:18AM -0700, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Yasuhiro TAKE <take@debian.org> writes:
> >
> > > License:
> > >     Ng is free software. You can use, modify and redistribute this
> > >     program. For commercial use, I hope the contact is made with me,
> > >     but this is not a condition. Any loss of profit or damage by
> > >     using this program is not in charge with me.
> >
> > It would be good to ask the person to add to this that we can
> > redistribute modified versions.
>
> Er, it already means that.  The only people in the world who don't
> understand it to mean that are the University of Washington.

Unfortunately, the University of Washington has some legal authority
behind them.  What "it means" is decided by the courts, and the
courts seem to recognize the permission to distribute a modified
version as separate from the permissions to modify and to distribute,
such that you can grant the latter two without granting the former.

I'm sure the Ng author has no such intention, but it would be better
to ask them to make it explicit.