Re: RFC: moving packages to project/orphaned

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

>  Sorry about the long delay.  I had to fix real life in the mean time.
>  Thanks to everyone for the feedback.  I got a few responses stating
>  that moving packages to project/orphaned semi-automatically would be a
>  bad idea.  From what I've seen active maintainance of packages assigned
>  to debian-qa is the exception, not the rule.

I can't see that orphaned packages are maintained that bad. It's not good
if a package is orphaned, but at least RC bugs are handled fast by
debian-qa.

Hopefully all orphaned packages will be adopted so we won't have to
discuss this any more.  ;-)

>  Attached to this mail is a new report which addresses particularly
>  this:
>
>  > How do you plan to handle packages that are used by others?
>
>  This is far from perfect, but for the most part it's right.  If you

Your report doesn't handle the dependencies if a source package has
binary packages with other names. E.g. dpkg-scriptlib builds the binary
packages dpkg-perl and dpkg-python that both have reverse dependencies,
but your report doesn't list any reverse dependencies for dpkg-scriptlib.

>  Suggestions welcomed,
>

>                                     Marcelo

cu,
Adrian