Re: Any reason not to use PNG images in packaged HTML manuals?

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 04:09:02PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> [please reply only to -www]
>
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 02:53:41PM +0100, Alisdair McDiarmid wrote:
> > Netscape doesn't support transparency as far as I can tell, but otherwise
> > is fine
> >
> > > For exmaple, even the Debian web site is still using Gifs instead
> > > of PNG format.
> >
> > Someone should possibly convert them where appropriate. I'll do it if
> > no-one else wants to.
>
> The above issue with Netscape is what's keeping us from converting,
> I think.

The same applies to a few sites I maintain :-(

> The corners of the buttons in the navigation bar are transparent;
> although I guess we could just make that part match the background
> color and make the images PNGs.

Hmm, converting them is slightly more complicated than I thought it
would be, then. I already converted the GIFs (using imagemagick) but
I hadn´t noticed that it simply removed the transparency -- the
navigation bar images are now rectangles :-/

> The other used GIF, indicating compliance with HTML 4.0, doesn't use
> transparency.

http://validator.w3.org/images/vh40 is now a PNG; linking to it would
possibly solve that issue.
--