Any reason not to use PNG images in packaged HTML manuals?

We got rid of compressed GIFs upstream in the gri manual (see
package gri-html-doc) and mostly used jpg format instead to show
graph examples.  The png format would look a lot nicer (jpg
fuzzes out the edges and looks bad), but we are concerned that
perhaps some browsers can't handle them.  For exmaple, even the
Debian web site is still using Gifs instead of PNG format.

Should we not use png yet?

Thanks,
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada