Re: apt-get and proxy

On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Andreas Tille wrote and forgot to mention:

> On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
>
> > Wakko{root}~/work/apt2/build/bin#http_proxy="http://void"; apt-get install apt
> > Reading Package Lists... Done
> > Building Dependency Tree... Done
> > 1 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 362 not upgraded.
> > Need to get 483kB of archives. After unpacking 142kB will be used.
> > Err http://sunsite.ualberta.ca woody/main apt 0.3.19
> >   Could not resolve 'void'
> >
> > Maybe your shell is foobar <shrug>
> Sorry, I havn't checked recently.  It was in former times when I had to
> work around this.  Now it works correctly!!
When I wrote, that the proxy variables were ignored just my description
was wrong.  May be they are used but they are used in an other way
than if I use settings in /etc/apt/apt.conf.  While trying several different
proxy-settings (sorry, don't remember) there, I got explicitely the
message that the proxy is contacted.  Using just the environment
variables there is no message about contacting the proxy and in fact
the time is always the same when updating package list (also doing this
several times on the same box - at least this could be cached even
without using a proxy - is this worth a wishlist-bug?) or when obtaining
packages.  I really doubt that this is a squid bug because I use it
successfully with wget and lynx.

Kind regards

         Andreas.