Re: Problems with mail system? [Fwd: Returned mail: User unknown]

On Thu, Sep 07, 2000 at 03:19:06AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> People like Mr. Jones don't like to consider impacts.  They like easy rules
> and easy policies.  They don't like to do analysis.  And they especially
> don't like to be inconvenienced by considerations of the impact of their
> actions on a larger system.  Because that's Hard.  Nobody likes Hard work.

People sending mail from dialups and IP's without reverse DNS have several

1) Use their ISP's mail server to send mail and/or get their ISP to fix the
2) Ask a friend for an SSH account on a box that mail can be routed through.
3) Come up with a better way to block spam, so that everyone can stop using
4) Do nothing except whine and cry every time the issue comes up in a public

It seems that #4 is the preferred choice for some of the poeple on this list.

> Nobody said fairness or intelligence were easily come by, either.  Does it
> follow that we should not encourage their cultivation?

I hereby dub thee "Duke of False Analogies".