Getting current keymap

Hello,

I'm currently writing a config file generator for an automated Debian
install tool we're developing.
My script needs to gather config information from an existing machine to
generate an XML file with various config info (among which the current
keymap)
The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a clean way to know which
keymap has been installed, and even comparing
/etc/console-tools/default.kmap.gz to everything under
/usr/share/keymaps won't do because of the include files.

Is there something obvious I missed or is it really unfeasible ?

Thanks.