Re: RFC: GUI tools for common Debian admin tasks

Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> wrote:
>  I think it would also be interesting to integrate this into Nautilus (the
>new Gnome filemanager) and (now that KDE is finally legal) Konquerer.
>
>  You could certainly display some package info this way -- in particular,
>being able to display (in the Properties dialog box of these programs) what
>package a file belongs to would be cool.  (it can't be done efficiently yet,
>but you could cache this information somehow, as dlocate does..)
>
>  Also, it might be intriguing to (ab)use the VFS support in these programs
>to convert them into Apt frontends.  I'm not sure how far you could go, but
>it would be interesting to see if it worked.

Reminds me of the time my roommate and I took a Packages file, munged it
a bit to make it into an mbox mail folder, and then he told Gnus to
pretend the mbox was a newsgroup so that he could start killfiling
packages. It's one of the stranger things I've ever done. It would,
again, be interesting to see how far you could go in terms of
crowbarring one metaphor into the other.