Re: RFC: GUI tools for common Debian admin tasks

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 06:24:28PM +0200, Frederic Peters wrote:

> GUI tools. [some will respond here with "we don't want those users" and I
> won't agree. This flamewar already happened. GUI tools doesn't mean you
> have to use them. blah blah blah.]
>
> Something else we'd need is an option in the boot floppies that would
> allow X to be autoconfigured and launched the first time the machine is
> installed. (but this is beyond the scope of my RFC).
>
> So we'd have GUI tools for:
>  - /etc/network/interfaces
>  - alternatives
>  - adduser
>  - ...

- bug reporting (a la reportbug)

- package information queries (a la apt-cache)...maybe this should be
  integrated with a GUI package manager frontend (is gnome-apt still alive?)

I would be willing to write some code for this project.

> PS2: _don't_ send me copies of your mails. I'm subscribed to debian-devel.

Fix your Mail-Followup-To, and well-behaved MUAs would take care of
this.

--
 - mdz