Re: RFC: GUI tools for common Debian admin tasks

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 03:16:26PM -0400, Matt Zimmerman <mdz@csh.rit.edu> was heard to say:
> - package information queries (a la apt-cache)...maybe this should be
>   integrated with a GUI package manager frontend (is gnome-apt still alive?)

  I think it would also be interesting to integrate this into Nautilus (the
new Gnome filemanager) and (now that KDE is finally legal) Konquerer.

  You could certainly display some package info this way -- in particular,
being able to display (in the Properties dialog box of these programs) what
package a file belongs to would be cool.  (it can't be done efficiently yet,
but you could cache this information somehow, as dlocate does..)

  Also, it might be intriguing to (ab)use the VFS support in these programs
to convert them into Apt frontends.  I'm not sure how far you could go, but
it would be interesting to see if it worked.

  Daniel

--
/----------------- Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> -----------------\
|     CCs of list      |      "So convenient a thing it is to be a            |