Re: APT problem

On 30 Aug 2000, Alex Romosan wrote:

> > It means the libc6 package you have installed has a different md5sum then
> > the package it finds on ftp.corel.com, and assumes that the version on

No, this is not at all how it works..

> which are not on by default and then i have to put the packages on hold
> because apt wants to get the remote ones.

You have to do this anyhow, otherwise the package will get upgraded and
you will loose your changes. In all cases I can think of where a package
is locally recompiled and has not been placed on hold you would indeed
want the 'newer' archive package to be installed. The motivating factor
here is local slink recompiles of potato packages.

> can we please, please reverse the behaviour, or at least make it
> configurable in /etc/apt/apt.conf, something like PreferLocal "yes".
> if there is such an option and i missed it, please point it out to me.

Come up with a reasonable situation where you would want to have a
non-held package not be moved to the archive version of the same version
but be moved to the newer archive version :>

Jason