Re: Crazy idea: removing version numbers from debian

On Wed, Aug 30, 2000 at 05:05:58PM +0200, Thomas Guettler wrote:
> But I am interested
> what you think about this crazy idea to remove
> version numbers (like debian2.2) from debian?

How do u call slink? "Old Stable"? :)

No i think it is not a bad idea to have a version number. The only question
is if the Version number should cover the whole distribution (including
contrib, non-free, non-US,...) or only the base section (like with FreeBSD).

But since we do not have yet another distribution schema, I think our
current practice ov giving version and release numbers is the best. This is
especially for CD Manucatureres and Security Admin important. It is also
important if you want to talk about events in the past.

Greetings
Bernd