Learning dpkg/apt

I want to learn the total innards of dpkg/apt.  I recently filed a bug
complaining about the fact that dpkg is too slow, but I want to actually _do_
something about it (other than ordering other developers around).

So.... Can someone who knows dpkg give me a good list of the stuff I should
read, or the order in which I should read the dpkg/apt source code?

--
Dwayne C. Litzenberger - dlitz@cheerful.com

- Please always Cc to me when replying to me on the lists.
- See the mail headers for GPG/advertising/homepage information.