Re: Intent To Split: netbase

>>"Kai" == Kai Henningsen <kaih@khms.westfalen.de> writes:

 Kai> AFAIK most MTAs can be convinced to use a different port. I
 Kai> wonder why that is?

	You are missing the point. How often do these things have to
 be done? How difficult is it to install two different MTA's as things
 stand?

 Kai> I know that Exim has support to talk to a SMTP server on an
 Kai> arbitrary port. I see no reason to assume other MTAs can't do
 Kai> the same. I wonder why that is?

	If you do not know, I do not think you should really be
 participating in this discussion. If you do know, you perhsaps should
 not be participating here with this inflamatory stance either.

 Kai> I have a machine running two different Exim konfigurations at
 Kai> the same time, one not involving listening on any port. Separate
 Kai> spools, separate logs. I wonder why one of those couldn't be a
 Kai> different MTA?

	And how commohn a practice do you think that is?

 Kai> As for NNTP, you've heard of port nntps? And then there's the
 Kai> option of running server-to-server NNTP on arbitrary ports.

	How common is this?

 John> These aren't real reasons at all.

 >> Given that, you have a curious definition of
 >> ``real''. Unfortunately, I do not think I find your definition of
 >> real very interesting.

 Kai> His seems to be about the same as mine. Your "real reasons" boil
 Kai> down to "I don't know why you'd want to do that", which is a
 Kai> piss-poor reason for *anything*.

	Bullshit. You have totally missed the point of my message, and
 have the gall to come in with a cendescending flammage that is ill
 condusive to any further discussion. Until you show you have the
 basic understanding of what is called the common case, I have nothing
 to say to you.

	manoj
 and we were too having a reasoably sane discussion until now
--
 I don't think I'm gonna agree with that.  Way too much visual
 confusion... Larry Wall in <199709021627.JAA11966@wall.org>