Re: Intent To Split: netbase

>>"Branden" == Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

 Branden> On Tue, Aug 15, 2000 at 03:33:24AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
 >> hesitantly pointing  out the bit about optimizing for the
 >> overwhelmingly common case

 Branden> There's a difference between *optimizing* for the common
 Branden> case, and preventing the use of other cases without
 Branden> resorting to unofficial packages.

 	Make the common things easy, and make the arcane things
 possible, if I may paraphrase. Sure, if one can make the arcane
 things easier without affecting the common things, go for it, but the
 law of diminishing returns applies. I still think it is reasonable
 for the maintainers to punt on this and let the packages
 conflict.

	As jason mentioned, it is still doable -- diversions,
 dpkg --force-conflict, ae /varlib/dpkg/status, and judicous use of
 /etc/init.d.blah --start/stop -- hard, but possible.

	Anyway, I am sure if people come up with a policy/patches for
 all the MTA's the maintainers would be happy to consider them.

	I am not convinced the effort is worth it, and I thus withdraw
 from this discussion.

	manoj
--
 "Ignorance transcends architecture." James Gaskin