Re: Intent To Split: netbase

On Sun, Aug 13, 2000 at 01:02:51AM -0300, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:
>  Here we go again... =)
>
>  - What this sbin/bin thing was invented for?
>  - To prevent users from having useless things in their PATH.
>  - But lots of users claim that they'd like to have tracerout in their PATH!?
>  - So they should all add sbin to their PATH.
>  - But they don't like to have useless things in their PATH (init, adduser).
>  - So they should all remove sbin from their PATH.
>  - But lots of users claim that they'd like to have tracerout in their paths!?
>  [etc]

Of course.  The obvious answer is that programs that have some utility to
unprivileged users should go in /bin (or /usr/bin).

Traceroute has ample utility to end users.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |         Yesterday upon the stair,
Debian GNU/Linux                |         I met a man who wasn't there.