Re: Bug 27092 breaks localisation of potato install (IMPORTANT)

On Sat, Aug 12, 2000 at 07:25:06PM +0200, goswin.brederlow@student.uni-tuebingen.de wrote:
> Someone on irc complained that xdm doesn't parse /etc/enviroment.

Getting hysterical about this issue now won't change the fact that potato
is releasing in a few days WITHOUT a change to this behavior.

Just sourcing /etc/environment like a shell script is wrong.  However,
individual users may customize /etc/X11/Xsession (or /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession)
to do this.

I used to source /etc/environment from Xsession.  Pedants hounded me to
death until I removed it.  So argue with them, not me.

The right way to do it is to PAMify xdm to use the pam_env.so module.

And no one has done that yet, particularly not Red Hat, who claimed to have
"PAMified" xdm.

Do not monkey with the severity of this bug.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   "There is no gravity in space."
Debian GNU/Linux                |   "Then how could astronauts walk around