Re: GNOME question

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 05:52:15PM +1000, Brian May wrote:
> Having Helix distributed separately from Debian, means you can use
> apt-get to upgrade to the latest woody version of Gnome while keeping
> my other potato packages as up-to-date potato packages.
>
> Ok, perhaps this is really a limitation in apt, but I think it is an
> important issue.

This split really sucks. Since I am using Helixcode GNOME I can't build
my Gnome based packages as they won't run on woody or at least I can't be
sure. I have potato and woody/helix systems.

There was a discussion to merge Helix into Debian. The funny stuff is
that even if the Debian package is newer (and has a higher version number)
as long as it is the same version upstream apt will not update to the Debian
package.

This means you can't just remove the Helixcode archive from sources.list and
as well so Helix is actually hindering Debian from moving forward :((

I would really like to start merging the Helix changes but as Peter Teichman
from Helix pointed out there seem to be license issues about the graphics.
And what's nice about Helix if not the graphics? I also can't understand
why Helix does not like advertisement by having their logo in the world's
most stable Linux distribution...

Can we do something about this? I can compile some packages but I only have
a single woody machine (which only is connected via isdn).

Greetings

    Torsten

--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member