isdnutils dilemma

I'm in the process for building the latest version of the isdnutils,
with the latest upstream sources. However, I've run into a glitch,
licence-wise.  The isdnlog people have decided to use CDB instead
of DBM for the areacode etc.  The problem is that CDB is written by
D.J. Bernstein (of qmail fame), and the licence of CDB is vague at
best. On the webpage about CDB (http://cr.yp.to/cdb.html) he says:

	You may distribute unmodified copies of the cdb package.

	Packages that need to read cdb files should incorporate
	the necessary portions of the cdb library rather than
	relying on an external cdb library.

This can't be linked to GPL stuff, right?

What's stranger is that in a couple of the source files themselves
there is a line

	/* public domain */

In the other files there is no copyright message whatsoever.
Now I'm hoping that the files with the public domain message
are all that is needed for reading the cdb files, in which
case including only those shouldn't be a problem. However,
currently the upstream isdnutils sources have the entire
cdb source included :-(  That will have to change at the
least. Generating the cdb files should then be done elsewhere,
I guess.

Opinions? I've already sent a message to the upstream people
about this problem (I'm guessing they didn't realize the
implications).

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/