Re: WNPP now on the BTS

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 10:28:22AM +0200, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

>      To: submit@bugs.debian.org
>      Subject: {TAG}: {package name} -- {short package description}
>
>      Package: wnpp
>      Severity: {see below}

I would think this would take out one important aspect of the current
situation, which is that ITPs, etc are normally mailed to -devel, with
a corresponding awareness of the intentions to the developer community
at large. What happens with this move? Are you going to
have people cc -devel on all bugreports on wnpp, or will the BTS be
setup to automatically forward such correspondence to -devel.

>      O    important  The package has been Orphaned.  It needs a new
>                      maintainer as soon as possible.  If the package
>                      as a Priority of standard, required or essential,
>                      the severity should be set to grave.
>
>      ITO  important  The current maintainer of the package has stated
>                      his Intention To Orphan it.  The package is being
>                      maintained, but perhaps not in the best possible
>                      way due to lack of time, resources or something
>                      similar.  The package needs a new maintainer.

While I agree with the rest of your classification scheme for
priorities, the above two I think should be
      O	    important  iff orphaned package is standard, required or essential
	               else normal

      ITO    normal	by default, unless the maintainer that is
		        orphaning it really believes that his package
			not being maintained properly is RC, and then
			in that case important

Thanks by the way for doing this. I think overall, it is a good
move. But there ought to be a little bit more discussion on relative
priorities.

--
Gopal Narayanan <gopal@debian.org> <gopal@astro.umass.edu>
Debian GNU/Linux Developer