Re: RMS comments: Gnome part of the GNU operating system.

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 12:12:03PM +0200, Erik Enge wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>
> > That's a silly argument. X may not be essential in your application,
> > but it is in anothers. For example, how can you do CAD work without
> > a graphical user interface? You can do programming without a compiler
> > too if you're keen enough.
>
> If we look at the problem from another perspective:  the smallest common
> subset of the entire distribution, that is needed to do fundamental work
> with it, is GNU utilities and the Linux kernel.  Yeah?

It depends what work you're trying to do. I'm not trying to
split hairs here -- if your aim is software development, then
the kernel plus GNU utilities (including gcc) is a good starting
point. If you're trying to do something else, it doesn't get
you very far at all.

(If you want to split hairs, then a bunch of basic things Linux
needs to get running aren't supplied by GNU. Like init and
a getty, for example.)

Hamish