Re: Include Collector (may be OT)

Steve Greenland wrote:

> On 26-Jul-00, 15:24 (CDT), Bolan Meek <Bolan.Meek@wcom.com> wrote:
> > In beginning maintenance & improvement (a.k.a adoption)
> > of the xmailtool source, I've wanted to collect all the
> > '#include <whatever.h>' statements that are common to
> > several of the source files with a Perl script, as opposed
> > to a error-vulnerable method of doing it by hand.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish? Is this for dependencies in the
> Makefile?  If so, check out the '-M' (and '-MM') options for gcc, and
> the section on automatic dependency maintenance in the gmake info file.
>
> If there's some other purpose, please explain...

No, my desire to eliminate redundancies of
#include <|"certainfile>|"
between source files in a source package.  For example, in main.c,
drawscreen.c, wipefiles.c, and ruleworld.c, there are, in each,
#include <stdio.h> .  In these _and_ humiliated.c, grovel.c, and
repent.c,
there are instances of
#include <unistd.h> .  In ruleworld.c, there is also
#include <inet/tcp.h>.

I want an
#include "project.h" in each of these files, project.h containing
#include <stdio.h>
#include <unistd.h>
and ruleworld.c to still have the unique inclusion, in addition to
the common inclusion.

This really isn't a Debian package issue, since the Debian source
package will not mess with the inclusions structure, I imagine,
which is why I warned & apologized for off-topicness.  It's really
for upstream maintenance.

Since there doesn't seem to be a widely-known tool to do this,
I'm going to try to crank it out, and then see if there's some
maintainer's toolkit to which this can belong, ... or start one.

But!  I'm checking my email from the list periodically, so if
anyone knows of something to do this, please stop me!  (so I
can get it, and get back to work on xmailtool)

--
Bolan.Meek@wcom.com 972-729-5387
bolan@koyote.com (home ph. on Q) http://www.koyote.com/users/bolan