Re: ITP gnome-applets

> The panel applets are already split up by GNOME: try adding one to a
> panel and you have to choose from Amusements, Network, Utility,
> Multimedia, Clocks, and Monitors. This would seem like a sensible way
> of splitting the applets into packages.

Not only sensible, but makes sense for debian style packages too.
Placing these in the appropriate sections would even make more sense,
instead of in x11.  There are tons of things in the x11 section that
really belong elsewhere...

Amusements is games, Network is net, Utility is utils, Multimedia = either
graphics or sound, clocks is utils (or misc? or x11?), and Monitors would
be admin or utils.

Helix has this packaged already in one big clump (4 megs), if you want to
check it out, but breaking this up is smarter... And gives an alternative
to using Helix's package.  I'd like to see Debian do that, if the intent
is to package Gnome and not use Helix's packages, at least do something
different, so we have some choices.  If I could install some Helix and
some Debian gnome and not have them conflict, that would be the best of
both worlds.  So for instance, I might like Helix's current version of
something Gnome, but not want to install all of the applets, and this
would be perfect to fix that, since Helix packages them all in one bundle.

> Perhaps create a task-gnome-applets so that it's easy to install all
> of the applets at once.

Yes, good idea.  Maybe include all of the other applets as suggestions to
the task, to make a single applet focal point.

Seth