Re: ITP gnome-applets

* "Joey" == Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:

Joey> 10 to 1, it depends on an additional 60 to 70 mb of software,
Joey> not even counting X. So what's another 7 mb on a GNOME install?

*meep* Doesn't count, as they are already required by other parts,
when someone chooses GNOME.

<business-speak mode>
This is called "sunk cost". Your agument is kind of "we already
invested 70 Mio. USD, so whats another 7 Mio. USD."

The decision if these 7 Mio are worth spending, should only be based
on the benefit they generate, not on the fact, that one has already
invested 70 Mio. This is spent money, sunk cost, it is gone. It must
not influence a decision that deals with the future.
</>

So transfered to our situation, I agree to the fact that one package
is too big and contains many unused applets. But seperating them
completely has too many disadvantages.

So spliting them in a few chunks is the best compromise, I
think. Spliting them on popularity may introduce too much flow, as an
applet may have to be moved between the "popular" and "misc" packages,
otherwise the distinction is moot. "Help, my applet is gone!"
Spliting them on the category used by gnome seems to be better.

Ciao,
        Martin