Re: About new fields in debian/control for bug reporting.

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 01:45:42AM -0400, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> Isn't this the same reason we list the package maintainer in the control file?
> The Maintainer field gives information about where the package came from, and
> who should be contacted about problems.  The bug information fields seem to
> serve a similar purpose, and the information is still easily and clearly
> available to people who don't use bug(1).

I still think it is a bad idea to put the BTS information in
every package. Origin should be enough to locate the BTS information,
and avoids having to recompile every package if the BTS information
were to change. A /var/lib/dpkg/origins/<origin> database could
provide the BTS information.

I am not a database programmer nor computer scientist by profession,
but I'm sure a few normal forms are violated by this proposal!

Regards,
Hamish