Re: About new fields in debian/control for bug reporting.

On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 02:10:46AM -0300, Nicolás Lichtmaier wrote:

>  I'm basically resending what I've already sent:
>
>  I don't think that's a good idea. Why do we need those fields in the
> control fields? Woud we use dpkg fields to put menu information there? Or
> doc-base info?
>
>  As I see it, bug-reporting is a separate issue from packaging. The `bug'
> tool allows for packages to set the BTS just by dropping a control-file in
> /usr/share/bug.
>
>  I think that it's more elegant not to, tie everything to the packaging
> system. Besides: packages can say many other things to a bug reporting tool
> in order to customize the reporting process. Would put all those fields in
> the control-file too?

Isn't this the same reason we list the package maintainer in the control file?
The Maintainer field gives information about where the package came from, and
who should be contacted about problems.  The bug information fields seem to
serve a similar purpose, and the information is still easily and clearly
available to people who don't use bug(1).

--
 - mdz