Re: Making dpkg-gencontrol behave....

On Fri, 21 Jul 2000, Joey Hess wrote:

> Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > In the master control file each separate paragraph (after the source
> > paragraph) describes one binary package, along with its version number.
>
> That's not correct. The debian/control files does *not* contain package
> versions. DEBIAN/control does, but they are automatically added to that
> file by dpkg-gencontrol.
>
> Clay, debhelper actually supports independant debian changelogs for
> subpackages in a source package. From the man page of
> dh_installchangelogs:
>
>       (If files named debian/package.changelog
>        exist,   they   will   be   used    in    preference    to
>        debian/changelog.)

I read the manpage (and the manpages to nearly all of dh_*), and am
trying to do it that way. I have <package>.[changelog|docs|dirs|*],
and everything works as advertized, except dh_gencontrol.

Err.... Actually, dh_gencontrol behaves as advertized, it's
dpkg-gencontrol that isn't cooperating.

> dh_gencontrol also uses the same changelogs when generating control
> files.
>
> I think doing this is pretty insane, but it is supported by debhelper.

It _is_ insane, but thankfully you had the forsight to include the
functionality for situations like this. Kudos to ya! :^)

> If it doesn't actually work, please send me a test case

I'll have to put one together. I have a good candidate, but will
take me a while. That is, unless you want _this_ one, with all
ninety-four of its megs. :^)

Cheers!
/ Clay Crouch, Shamless Bum ;^>    | <http://danno.tzo.com/~danno>   \
| Linux Administration/Consulting  | <danno@danno.tzo.com>           |
| Debian Package Maintainer        | <danno@debian.org>              |
|    "Away put your weapon; I mean you no harm." -- Master Yoda      |
| 1024D/7D2AD631: 2319 2356 FEDF 4631 63F3 762A E443 1C2A 7D2A D631  |