Re: Use of -rpath

    Oliver> PostgreSQL upstream developers are proposing to use -rpath
    Oliver> to find the correct libpq shared libraru at runtime.
    Oliver> lintian objects to -rpath and
    Oliver> /usr/share/doc/lintian/libtool-workarounds.txt contains
    Oliver> the text I quoted to them.

I seem to remember that there was a great debate on the use of rpath,
some time ago (years?) in debian-devel. You might want to check the
mail archives...

IIRC (I didn't understand what rpath was at the time...) there were a
number of concerns in hard coding the search path into executables.

I think at least part of the problem is that it makes installing a
different version of the library in a nonstandard spot difficult, as
it will search the 'correct' spot first. If this directory contains
another version of the library with the correct soname (did I get that
right?), that will be used instead, regardless of LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>