Re: sensible-x-terminal and x-terminal-emulator

On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 10:16:51AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> From: Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>
> > On Fri, Jul 21, 2000 at 09:52:40AM +0900, Tomohiro KUBOTA wrote:
> > > Then what is adequate?  Sensible-x-terminal-emulator is.
> > Has someone prototyped this yet?
> I did.  Please consult:
> http://surfchem0.riken.go.jp/~kubota/linuxwork/sensible-xtermemu.html
> I cannot upload it to Debian because I am in the queue of New Maintainer
> process.

Well, that's lame. What's the hold up with n-m these days anyway, isn't it
meant to be working now?

Would it help if I sponsored the package and uploaded for you?

If so, just a couple of questions. I was under the impression that
one of the main problems with the existing situation was that programs
just defaulted to calling xterm, which doesn't work because xterm isn't
perfect. This package doesn't seem to fix that at all: programs still
just call xterm, and will still not work. Instead, it'd make sense, the
way I see it, for this package to divert the xterm binary and replace
it with the sensible-xtermemu script. That way all the old programs
which just have "xterm" hardcoded start working and we get a chance to
see what problems we might have making sensible-xtermemu work in Debian
(xterms that don't accept the same arguments as xterm, and whatever else).

If so, then you'd need to add a dpkg-divert call to postinst and postrm
or something similar, and you'd have to change the

	exec2("xterm", argc, argv);

call in sensible-xtermemu.c to

	exec2("xterm.orig", argc, argv);

or something similar.

Of course, even a sponsored upload to unstable has to wait for the ftp
admins to get around to clearing out incoming...

> P.S. I wrote this once...

Yeah, well, I haven't been paying much attention to this thread, what with
speaking English natively and all.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark