Re: Wannabe-maintainer's question

> > downloading and bandwidth waste.  So, in short, I couldn't upgrade the
> > base installation, at least not often.
> I'm pretty sure there's some way of having apt generate a list of what it
> wants to download (given an accessible Packages file), so you could
> download that elsewhere, and then put the files in /var/cache/apt/archive/
> and run apt-get dist-upgrade then. So, it's not convenient, but not
> impossible. And much more preferable to maintain an own mirror somewhere.

Yes, I've done so already with my current installation.  But, like you
said, it's not a convenient way, especially if there are _many_ packages
required for upgrade.

> OTOH, it might not be reasonable to develop for debian if you can't
> keep your system up to date on demand; you might be using old (and
> out of date) libraries for example.

That's my main concern, frankly.  I mean, if contributing for the
project really needs a possibility to upgrade one's system on demand,
then I guess it's better to start looking for a connection of some sort
instead of sweating with zips and cd-roms...

Thanks for your time,
Petteri.