Re: GNU Sather?

On Thu, Jul 20, 2000 at 01:14:13PM +0300, Eray Ozkural wrote:
> There are Debian packages in GNU Sather's home page, but they
> don't seem to be included in woody. I wonder why this is the
> case. Aren't GNU packages supposed to be well supported in Debian?

Anyone can create Debian packages, but to be included in Debian,
they need to either be created by a developer or sponsored by
one.

> Obviously, the authors didn't have the stamina to go through
> the mind-bending Debian procedures for inclusion of well written
> and neatly packaged software. But, why didn't somebody else
> take it over? What I mean is, shouldn't Debian be following the
> state of GNU packages and try to make them available in the
> latest distributions? Who else is going to do that, anyway? :)

The assumption here is that developers get together to discuss what
software should be packaged and who will package it. The reality
is that software is included in Debian only if a developer offers
to package it (or sponsors the packages made by someone else).

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org