Re: Wannabe-maintainer's question

On Thu 20 Jul 2000, Petteri Hintsanen wrote:

> a documentation writer.  Now I'm trying to figure out what Debian
> version would be appropriate; in other words, should I install an
> unstable 'Woody' developer's snapshot or stay with the stable versions
> (and essentially wait for the new 2.2)?

I'd suggest installing the frozen 'potato' as it is currently;
i.e. not stable (slink), and also not unstable (woody).
I've installed a couple of systems with a potato snapshot of a month ago
(or more), and those systems work just fine for me.

> Probably the most ideal way would be to install the unstable version and
> update it frequently.  But there's a problem: I don't have an Internet
> access on my Debian box, so updates via FTP are impossible :-( Frequent
> snapshots from Debian FTP mirrors would be no good either, too much
> downloading and bandwidth waste.  So, in short, I couldn't upgrade the
> base installation, at least not often.

I'm pretty sure there's some way of having apt generate a list of what it
wants to download (given an accessible Packages file), so you could
download that elsewhere, and then put the files in /var/cache/apt/archive/
and run apt-get dist-upgrade then. So, it's not convenient, but not
impossible. And much more preferable to maintain an own mirror somewhere.

> So is it sane to install a stable version and do the developing with it?

Use potato for a system to develop with.
OTOH, it might not be reasonable to develop for debian if you can't
keep your system up to date on demand; you might be using old (and
out of date) libraries for example.

Paul Slootman
--
home:       paul@wurtel.demon.nl http://www.wurtel.demon.nl/