Re: Intent To Split: netbase

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 10:58:26AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > I intend to split netbase into a plethora of little packages based on
> > how they're distributed upstream. [...]
> more power to you. Can we work it out that netbase can be installed on the
> Hurd as well? If it ends up as a binary-all package, this might be a bit
> difficult (because of /etc/init.d/networking), but I am sure we can get
> to it. I can then drop the bits I have from netbase in the inetutils package
> (update-inetd and such).

That sounds good. The dependencies (logically) are:

	network-config
	ifupdown
	firewalling
	masq-support
	internet-superserver
	tcpd
	ping
	portmap
	rpc-tools

You've already got tcpd, and network-config presumably exists too
(inetutils?). How about firewalling? It'd be nicer to just have
firewalling tools available almost always on every Debian install. I guess
you probably don't have masq-support packages yet, but I'm inclined to
downgrade them anyway, so *shrug*. Presumably you have an inetd and a
ping as well? And I guess portmap and rpc can be removed from Depends:
eventually too, so aren't too important. ifupdown should be mostly
trivial to port.

/etc/init.d/networking might need an `if <linux>; then' around some stuff,
and some corresponding stuff for hurd (or to be binary-any and have the
script preprocessed or whatever), but should otherwise work pretty well
as is.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark