Re: Intent To Split: netbase

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 03:14:50AM +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 10:25:49AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> >         net-tools | iproute,
> since i am the co maintainer of net-tools upstream i can offer you to do
> that package for u. we have also a hostname package which is also included
> in net-tools and could be merged back into it. What do u think?

Sounds good to me. How about if I upload an initial split version (and
reassign bugs, and whatnot), then you take it over from there?

> BTW: dont think u can depend on iproute OR net-tools cause the syntax is so
> different, or?

Well, the only things that care about the syntax are ifupdown, and
whatever scripts users might have. ifupdown can be changed to support
both syntaxes, and users' scripts obviously can too. Of course, there's
arp and netstat which are part of net-tools but AFIAK not replaced by
iproute, so the | might not work anyway.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark