Re: splitting up kernel-image into two pieces

Nick Cabatoff <ncc@cs.mcgill.ca> writes:

> Fine, make it 500 lines.  Mostly to set the symlink and run lilo, with
> lots of sanity checking.

That's what I found, too.

> It's not that it does anything 'wrong' per se, it's that I don't agree
> that installing a kernel image on a machine should make it the only
> operative one.

Well, all the installed kerenl-images will be in /boot/vmlinuz*.
Depends on your boot-loader setup which of those you can boot. (For
example, I use grub which understands ext2fs and thus can boot any of
them.)

> The immediate motivation for me was that I was irritated that when
> installing different kernel-images on a machine I had to boot off a
> floppy.  Scenario:
>
> - install image A on machine - now the old kernel I had gets moved to
>   vmlinuz.old
> - discover image A doesn't boot, so try image B - now A is
>   vmlinuz.old, and my old working kernel isn't listed in lilo.conf
> - reboot, curse, and go find a boot floppy
[...]
> > In the mean time, maybe "man kernel-img.conf" helps...
>
> Thanks just the same, but in this case I'd pored over the docs and
> code at length before I posted.

I mentioned it because I guessed that putting "do_symlink=no" into
/etc/kernel-img.conf will solve your problem. That will stop the
postinst scripts from messing with your symlinks. Your machine(s) will
boot the same kernel unless you change the link yourself.

--
Robbe