Re: libtool and sonames

Hi Andreas,

On Sat, Jul 15, 2000 at 07:16:49PM +0200, Andreas Rottmann wrote:
> > with $file being the name of the library. What you are seeing as extension
> > of libelastic.so is the libtool internal versioning info (like you can
> > find in many other libraries, see e.g. /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0.5.3).
> >
> This is wrong, IMHO. The libtool version info is encoded into the
> SONAME AFAIK. The first part of the libtool version info is the 'major
> library version', which happens to be also the last part of the
> SONAME.

So you think the major version of that library is 14?

> I would call it libelastic#, # being the major version (interface
> version). Otherwise it is not possible to have apps that use different
> versions.

As it is very much in flux that is not useful for Debian. For each
major version you will need to upload a /new/ package that has to be
installed by hand. This will impact our ftp masters too much.

The first stable version will probably have a major number of 0.x or
1.x but never 0.0 so I think libelastic0.0 is safe from conflicting
with a stable release of the library. Each libelastic0.0 package should
have a shlibs which make packages linked against that library depend
on that exact version of the package (minus Debian release perhaps).

> On the other hand, if this is a new, in-the-flux library, there won't
> be many apps, and most likely no closed-source ones. Thus that may not
> be an issue and you can call it libelastic, and adding versions to the
> name once it has stabled a little.

That's another idea. Just leave the version out of the package name and
make sure that package is removed once a stable release is available.

> > does not fit well into Debian package names - they are not using the
> > -release option.
> >
> It should have SONAME libelastic.so.14 (libtool _does_ attach sonames,
> there is not even an option to turn it off IIRC).

Sure it does. For example libgtk1.2 has the libtool SONAME
libgtk-1.2.so.0. From this only the 1.2 is of interest for Debian since
the .0 should stay there for all 1.2 releases (since the GTK developers
want to retain backward compatibility).

cu

    Torsten
--
Torsten Landschoff           Bluehorn@IRC               <torsten@debian.org>
           Debian Developer and Quality Assurance Committee Member