Re: Serial console and init

----- Original Message -----
From: "Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miquels@cistron.nl>
To: "Eray Ozkural" <erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr>
Cc: <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2000 10:04 PM
Subject: Re: Serial console and init

> > this is different append="console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0", but order
> > shouldn't differ.
>
> Order does matter - that is your problem right there.
>
> >From the serial-console.txt document:
>
> You can specify multiple console= options on the kernel command line.
> Output will appear on all of them. The last device will be used when
>                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> you open /dev/console. So, for example:
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>         console=ttyS1,9600 console=tty0
>
> defines that opening /dev/console will get you the current foreground
> virtual console, and kernel messages will appear on both the VGA
> console and the 2nd serial port (ttyS1 or COM2) at 9600 baud.

I've obviously skipped that. Thanks a lot for this information; I was going
nuts.
I'll try it out as soon as I get a chance to physically reset the machine
I'm trying
to make the serial console work with. BTW, I presume you're using a
multi-port
serial board. Would you recommend purchasing one?

Thanks again,

__
Eray Ozkural