Re: Serial console and init

----- Original Message -----
From: "Miquel van Smoorenburg" <miquels@cistron.nl>
To: <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 15, 2000 2:21 PM
Subject: Re: Serial console and init

> I can assure you that sysvinit in Debian DOES work on the serial
> console. I have about 20 machines using it and it works out of the box.

Well, what I don't understand is that everything else works on the serial
console. LILO, the kernel boot messages and login works, the init
messages are going somewhere else :)

> You must be doing something wrong, but I don't know what. Check again:
>
> - you are using a 2.2 or later kernel
> - you are running a recent sysvinit (2.78)
> - you compiled the kernel with serial port support (not as a module)
> - you compiled the kernel with serial console support
> - you have the right options in /etc/lilo.conf for the kernel
>   (append="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600")

this is different append="console=ttyS0,9600 console=tty0", but order
shouldn't differ.

> - /dev/console is c 5 1
> - you removed /etc/ioctl.save

I set up everything, and then removed /etc/ioctl.save before booting the
system. Sure, /etc/ioctl.save pops up again. But it should be reset to
9600N8
IIRC.

> - the serial terminal is set up correctly including rts/cts handshaking
etc

Otherwise, LILO or login wouldn't work either. I use seyon as my serial
terminal
emulator on the interfacing machine. BTW, seyon seems to be the only decent
serial terminal program in potato. (I mean, one that is not intended as a
modem,
but serial terminal program)

I guess I've accomplished all these steps, something else must be wrong.

Thanks,
__
Eray Ozkural
erayo@cs.bilkent.edu.tr