Re: packages linked against Qt

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, Joseph Carter wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 06:48:04PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:
> > > Yes, we're all hoping that Troll makes the license
> > > GPL-compatible.  There's no hope of change on the KDE side.
> >
> > TrollTech promised to release Qt 2.0 with GPL-compat license.
> > Main reason for that promise was to kill Harmony developement.
> > I doubt that promising licensing change for Qt 2.2 is
> > for anything more than stopping poeple from making free
> > (Qt isn't 100%-free) Qt-compitible toolkit.
>
> Your grasp of the DFSG is obviously as complete as your understanding of
> the GPL itself.
>
> Please do the entire Linux-using portion of the world a favor and stay OUT
> of this discussion.  Your FUD is the kind of crap that has given KDE the
> excuse so long that even if they fixed the license problem it wouldn't be
> good enough for us.  People spouting off ignorant things like the above
> are just as responsible for the current state of affairs as the KDE people
> are for their arrogance.

Dear Joseph,

I don't understand the point you are making.

If your intent is to flame someone, why could you not do it in private
email?  Do you suppose the rest of debian-devel is concerned with your
view of this person?

On the other hand, if your intent is to set the public record straight,
why did you not include your view of the situation?

I have read the GPL thoroughly, I have read the DFSG, and I have read many
accounts of the KDE/GPL controversy.  With all that, I cannot figure out
what you are alluding to.  Rather than insult my intelligence, why not
simply remind us all, with a few pithy words, why you doubt Tomasz' view
of TrollTech's motives?

> If you don't want to contribute to a solution, please just shut up and
> quit contributing to the problem.

Amen.  Physician, heal thyself.

-Steve