Re: Please don't remove libc5 - old non-free software might need it!

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 08:49:52PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, David Starner wrote:
>
> > Also, from the Jargon File "FUD /fuhd/ n. ... has become generalized to
> > refer to any kind of disinformation used as a _competitive_ weapon."
> > (Emphasis mine) Unless you're claiming that Harald Schmid is the secret
> > tool of a competetor (and even that would be streaching the original
> > definition), it's not correct to call it FUD.
>
> 	Uhm, just FYI, FUD = Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt.  That's what it
> stands for, it's an acronym.  The definition in the Jargon File appears
> *way* too limited, so much so as to be incorrect and wrong.

A lot of acronyms have meanings outside the literal words. DOS, IDE.
If it's just an acronym, then we should stop using it negative manner.
It's good if we doubt and are uncertain of many of these wild plans to
cross debian-devel. Unquestioning acceptance is usually bad.

Would you accept a statement that Linux users spread a large deal of FUD
about Microsoft Windows? Your definition of FUD doesn't add a factor of
truth in - calling an advertisment that said "Windows NT makes your 386
a stable platform to run Yahoo off of" false would be FUD.

I don't find your definition of FUD useful, and leaving that the only other
well defined alternative seems to be the Jargon File's version.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu