Re: Please don't remove libc5 - old non-free software might need it!

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 06:51:03PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 09:31:42PM +0200, Harald Schmid wrote:
>
> > I use an old comercial spreadsheet (no soucecode available) based on libc5 and
> > don't want to miss it. I guess there might exist lots of  other sourceless
> > libc5-based  software outside the inner circle of debian developpers.
> > Removing oldlibs would remove a big advantage of gnu/linux compared to other
> > OS'ses: Until now even paleonthologig software is still workling perfectly.

Actually, this isn't true. Windows 2000 should still run software written
for DOS 2.0, but Debian doesn't provide libc4, needed to run much more recent
software.

> Your fear is based on the FUD that removing it from woody makes it
> completely unavailable for users, and mysteriously removes it from existing
> systems.

? This is a strawman. I can't think of anyone who believes this.

Also, from the Jargon File "FUD /fuhd/ n. ... has become generalized to
refer to any kind of disinformation used as a _competitive_ weapon."
(Emphasis mine) Unless you're claiming that Harald Schmid is the secret
tool of a competetor (and even that would be streaching the original
definition), it's not correct to call it FUD.

> Even upgrading to post-potato distributions will not cause libc5 to be
> uninstalled, or your libc5 applications to be broken.

Are you promsing that? If so, then why not leave it in? If it's
going to take too much maintainance to leave it in, then it's probably going
to break without that maintaince. i.e. upgrading to post-potato distributions
is probably going to cause you libc5 applications to be broken.

--
David Starner - dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org
http/ftp: x8b4e53cd.dhcp.okstate.edu