Re: libstc++2.10-dev & threads

On Tue, Jul 11, 2000 at 11:30:21PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
<snip>

> It sounds like you are trying to free a string in two threads at the same
> time.  It seems that the STL is designed around letting you do the
> thread-safe part yourself so there's no locking being done when it's not
> necessary.  My multi-threaded STL programs work quite well.

No. Definately not.  Like I said, I was getting SEGV during the _construction_
of a string ON THE STACK.  So it was definately NOT shared between two
threads.

Event the STL containers are not reentrant - they don't support simultaneous
access to methods from different threads.

BTW - the stl-manual package is also quite out of date...

References I've turned up:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/libstdc++/1999-q3/msg00167.html
http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/libstdc++/libstdc++-2.90.7.tar.gz/libstdc++-2.90.7/docs/faq/#5_6

Regards,

Chris

            Linux, because I'd like to *get there* today
Reply with subject 'request key' for GPG public key.  KeyID 0xB4E24219