Status in init.d (was: Re: init script config files)

On Sat, 08 Jul 2000, Ethan Benson wrote:

> who the hell needs status anyway, when i used redhat i found it to be
> the most worthless thing ever conceived, it never was very accurate.
>
> the way to find out status is ps aux | grep foo  period.

Unfortunately, the *current* LSB standards has that status thingie in it.
Debian will eventually adopt the LSB, so we'll either have to implement (and
do it RIGHT, it *has* to be *very* accurate and detect stale lock/pid files
per the LSB) status, or we must convince the LSB to remove it from the
standard.

BTW, a working (as in well behaved, well implemented, AND accurate) status
function is useful for sysvinit wrappers. Debian will have one of these
(optional, the flamewars will make sure of THAT at least) sooner or later,
and IMHO they're the reason the LSB left the status stuff in there.

> /var/run/sshd.pid` is actually running or not is not that useful, i
> can do that myself much faster then dicking with the initscript)

Yes, you can. Automated tools, however, could probably benefit greatly of an
accurate (and consistant) status function (which is supposedly tailored to
detect if a certain daemon is either running or dead in the most accurate
way it can be done for that particular daemon)...

PS: I am against anything more damaging to the holy KISS principle than a
conffile defaults (variable assignment ONLY) directory (with conffile init
scripts). RedHat-style init scripts be damned, the stuff the LSB asks us to
do (right now) is already complicated enough to do _right_ (half-assed
solutions need NOT apply).

  Henrique Holschuh