Re: An idea.... (Was: debfind.net (was: GNOME-HELIX))

On Fri, 30 Jun 2000, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> The problem as I see it is that apt-get would have to download the whole
> thing before it could run lintian on it.  So let's Joe Schmoe has Xfree86 4
> debs, would I have to download all 50MBs to find out he installed
> everything into /etc?
>
> A workaround could be if dinstall ran lintian and output the result to
> some webpage in a fixed location.

Yes, you'll have to download the entire package before apt/lintian can
scan it. You can't expect every Joe Schmoe to use dinstall to upload the
packages.

This is not only about large non-official repositories, but also about
users and upstream authors who make their own non-official packages.

Remco
--
rd1936:  10:00pm  up 18 days, 20:43,  7 users,  load average: 1.09, 1.06, 1.09