Re: new great debian feature (was: modular design for adduser)

On Tue, Jun 27, 2000 at 01:19:11PM +0200, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:

I didn't read it as two different things, but for something that
manages adduser and PAM and (you name it).  Yes, a big wish list.  ;^)

Maybe I'm misinterpreting, but NFS, NIS, LDAP piece implies a
network view, not a single workstation.  Debian has a way to go
as a "network" distribution.  For example, one really can't
use vanilla adduser on a network where you want to maintain uniform
userland across multiple machines.  Instead, one needs to adduser
to a core db/nis/something that distributes new userland.  Or you
might want a non-tech admin (like General Manager) to put an account
on audit without having to find local BOFH.

We have something along those lines: it's a curses interface to
mySQL and a pile of scripts to perform any number of systems tasks.
Really just an overgrown accounting/customer management package.  I'd
guess most anyone that's been running a system for a while has
something like that.  And I'd also guess it's the most crufty
patched together thing on their system.  ;^)

cfm