Re: Updating build-essential package list

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Jérôme Marant wrote:
> > As most of packages build with "debhelper", I think that it would
> > be logical to find it in the build-essential package list.
> > What do you think about it ?
> No, it is not `essential' at all, just often used. None of my
> packages use it for example (except for vim, I haven't gotten
> around to change that yet).

It would be good if most of the stuff in those kinds of tools would be
properly integrated into dpkg. The suidmanager -> dpkg move is one step in
the right direction. I wish we had an easy to use standard .deb build
environment that does not require all these addons.