dist-upgrade wants to remove scwm

apt-get wants to remove scwm when I dist-upgrade, rathern than
upgrading it.  Any idea why?  This seems like undesirable behavior;
have I caused it in some way or is something wrong with scwm or ... ?

apt-get actually wants to remove six packages:
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  console-tools console-tools-data egcs-docs netpbm-nonfree open scwm

More generally, how can I get apt to explain to me the choices it's
making?

I have a mostly slink machine with a few potato packages, and I was
looking at what would happen (with apt-get -s) if I dist-upgrade.  I'm
not certain what more information to report.

Thanks,
--Miguel