Re: eliminating -source packages

On Sun, Jun 18, 2000 at 20:53:43 -0700 (+0000), Joey Hess wrote:
> This is a proposal to change how source gets on a user's machine for
> them to use to build the kernel, and associcated modules packages.
[snip]

On a related note, I think that the current way of building the binary
modules packages leaves alot to be desired.   Currently my /v/l/d/available
lists 8 different images files (and that's just i386).  Am I really expected
to compile a modules-source package eight times?

An alternative is to get the people who make the kernel-image-* packages
build the modules.  However this isn't ideal either - are they expected to
rebuild each time some module maintainer updates a package?

The best approach would be some auto-builder script which would rebuild
things as needed.  Any takers :-)

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@iname.com
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian GNU/Linux  -*-   because I'm allergic to Prozac   -*-  www.debian.org