Re: Dissatisfied w/Debian? Make something 'pure'.

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 10:19:30PM -0700, Joseph Carter wrote:

> DFSG.  Several messages in this thread can be tied to developers who wish
> to relax the DFSG so their favorite software can get into Debian.

   You mean amend the DFSG to allow software to migrate from non-free to
main?  Please support or withdraw this claim.

On Sun, Jun 11, 2000 at 11:23:37PM -0700, Craig Brozefsky wrote:

> There is no evidence that people in Debian are wanting to change the
> DFSG to accept only the GPL.  The FSF doesn't even believe that only

   While the excerpt below does not imply that the proponent of the
resolution and one of his sponsors intend to make Debian GPL-only, in
practice their amendments will either include more currently non-DFSG
software (unlikely given their current position on non-free, but consistent
with Joseph's claim), or exclude more currently DFSG free software.  If the
6 amendments neither include nor exclude more software then there would be
little point in making them.

> The DSFG is, essentially, an arbitrary standard.  It's a *good*
> arbitrary standard, I think.  But can you really expect it to stand
> without challenge once it is the only obstacle to making the Debian
> project more, more, ever more ideologically pure?  I can't.

   The following log is fairly clear evidence I believe that the same people
attempting to ban debian developers from supporting non-free using the
Debian infrastructure also believe that the very definition of non-free
should be revised.  The proposal to ban non-free from Debian servers created
a sensation of a slippery slope in many people.  This log appears to justify
that sensation.  In any event, it's pretty clear that there was an agenda.

<Overfiend> CR: BTW, your proposal was very lousily timed, IMO.
<CosmicRay> Overfiend: oh?
<Overfiend> CR: it probably completely derails any chances of the planned 6
+amendments to the DFSG that I told you about.  :(
<CosmicRay> those are probably more important

CosmicRay == John Goerzen, the proponent of the General Resolution
Overfiend == Branden Robinson, one of the 5 sponsors

   Complete log available on debian-private or on request.

To Goerzen and Robinson - who is next?