Re: /tmp (as a RAM disk?) in a small root partition

On Tue, Jun 13, 2000 at 09:23:20 -0500, David Starner wrote:
> On my root partition, du mtab says it uses up 1K of space. ls -l /etc/mtab
> 347. So I can double mtab before it will try to allocate another sector. If
> you have enough things potentially mounted to fill 1K of space, then this
> might be a problem. Or if you use something like Reiserfs, which merges those
> small files. Otherwise, I don't see it as an issue.

    Good point. Another point is that mounting and unmounting doesn't
happen very often "under normal operation", i. e. after booting has
finished. So maybe I really couldn't mount or unmount a CD or floppy while
/tmp is full. Okay, the situation changes if you're using an automounter. :-(

    Anyways, this is getting offtopic since it wasn't about mounting root
read-only.

    - Stephan.